Monday, July 16, 2012

What's for Sunday Dinner?

Company Casserole, Loaded Veggie Salad, French Bread, and (my fav.) Peach and Berry Cobbler!
Sunday Dinner at our house has been a tradition for as long as I can remember.  It still lives on today!  We always feed a room full of people.  Sunday Dinner is a time we gather to eat, talk, laugh, and there is always a heaping helping of friendly teasing.  Sweet sarcasm rules at our house!  Mind you...the following "Sunday" meals will all be in large quantity, if there is one thing my mother has taught me is to cook for a crowd.  :]
 So, let's begin with dessert.  I always like to start with dessert first...especially when fresh peaches are involved! Yum.  My Grandma Junie June (As I  lovingly called her) died when I was only 5.  I loved her dearly and  I am overjoyed that little parts of her can still play a major roll in my life.   Junie June had a recipe for a Deep Dish Peach Pie that my Mother has kept alive.  Thanks to both my Grandma and my Mom I have many great old recipes.  I love Peach anything.  I have taken her Deep Dish Peach Pie recipe and changed it here to fit my needs.  I wanted to try a Peach Cobbler and BOY, did it work beautifully! I made these the day before and reheated them the day of.  Just before serving I added a little scoop of ice cream! 






















 I made this little guy in a 4 ounce Mason Jar!  Adorable in every way and really fun to eat.  I can't resist a tiny spoon, especially when Peaches are involved. 

  I used 7  to 8 cups ripe Peaches, peeled and sliced, 2 pints Raspberries, 2 pints Blackberries.  1 1/2 cup Sugar, 1 cup Flour, 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg.  Combined dry ingredients and sprinkle over peaches.  Fold in carefully as to not "smoosh" the peaches. 
Once that is gently mixed, I add my berries.  You don't have to use berries, I just like the color and the taste  with the peaches.  It is beautiful. (If you don't want to use berries just double the amount of peaches.)
Next, I loaded Mason Jars (4 ounce) and began to put the crumb topping on.
1 1/2 Cup Flour, 1 1/2 Cup Sugar, 1 tsp. Nutmeg, 1 cold stick of Butter.


*Combine Flour, Sugar, Cinnamon and Nutmeg together.  Cut in Butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle on Peaches before baking.
 The texture of the crumble will start to look like sand.  I was able to fill 24, 4 ounce Mason Jars, and 1 Large Glass Pie Plate.  YEA!  Feeds a hungry crowd.
Bake at 400 until bubbly and golden brown.  Let cool slightly to "set" the juices.  Always good with Ice Cream!!! Oh, and a tiny spoon! :]

Next on the menu...French Bread.  So good, so easy! If you are not a bread maker, this is where you should begin.   I made this on Saturday morning, let it cool, and wrapped it twice with plastic wrap.  It is still fabulous the next day. 














French Bread
2 T. dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
pinch of sugar
(or 2 1/2 T. instant yeast)

2 c hot water
3T. sugar
1/3 c. oil
6 c. flour
Dissolve yeast in warm water and inch of sugar.  Let stand 10 min.  (If using instant yeast, skip this step) In large bowl combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and half of the flour.  Beat well.  Stir in dissolved yeast or dry instant yeast now.  Stir well.  Add remaining flour into a soft dough.  Allow the dough to rest for 10 min. and then stir it vigorously.  Rise for 10 more min. and stir vigorously again.  Repeat this process for one hour.
This is a double batch after rising for 10 min.

This is after a vigorous stirring.

  After an hour of 10 min. intervals of rising and resting, turn out onto a floured board and knead once or twice until lightly coated with flour and easy to handle.  Divide the dough in half.  Roll each half into a 9"x12" rectangle.  Starting at the long edge, roll loosely into a long loaf.
I made a double batch so there were 4 loaves instead of 2.

Place loaves seam side down onto greased cooking sheet.  Roll under and seal the edges.
Before rising. Edges tucked under.
Slash top of loaves 3 times diagonally with a sharp knife or razor blade.  If you want,  (I only brush with egg white, no seeds) brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise 30 mins.


Bake at 400 for about 20 min. or until golden brown on top and on bottom of bread.
YUMMY! And makes my house smell soooo good!

EAT YOUR VEGGIES!  Yes, mam!  I prepare my vegetables the day before.  Chopping takes so much of my precious Sunday time.  A little prep work on Saturday and my Sunday is smooth. 
Some of the kids WILL NOT eat a salad if it has all the "goodies" on it that I like. Serving them "salad bar" style helps us both be happy.  I wrap each veggie  plate with plastic wrap and stack them in my fridge.  I can use what ever amount I want, and keep in the fridge for salads during the week.

And last but, certainly not last....Company Casserole

I like to make this because it feeds a very large crowd, I can make it the day before and have it in the fridge ready to  "pop" in the oven.  Everyone in my family loves this casserole, even the picky ones!

Company Casserole (serves 6)
1 pkg. noodles
1 lb. hamburger (or combo of hamburger and sausage)
3 (8ounce) cans of tomato sauce
1 C. cottage cheese or ricotta
1pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/4 C. sour cream
1/4 C. green onion
1T. green pepper
2T. melted butter

Boil noodles in salted water for 10 min. Drain and set aside. Brown hamburger and stir tomato sauce into meat.  Remove from heat.  Set aside. Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, green onions and green pepper. Set aside.  Spread half the cooked noodles in a greased 2 quart casserole dish.  Cover with cheese mixture, then top with remaining noodles.  Pour melted butter over noodles.  Put beef mixture on top.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.  A little Parmesan cheese on top is good too!

The recipe multiplies well for large crowds... it is easy, yummy, and fills lots of tummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment