Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic Flavors of the World Unite

 Olympic Party...no sweat!  Is there any better way to have an Olympic Party than to have the flavors of the World unite!?! I say...No! I am sharing Olympic party plans with my local Channel 12 News.  It was fun to do!























For the party I chose the colors of the Olympic rings.  That was a no brainer!  I used a black and white polka dot table cloth that I already had.  I  figured it made the whole thing look really fun.

  I printed out the symbols that are used to define each Olympic sport.  I then backed them with black paper and tied a few ribbon knots. I also found some great Olympic digital print outs. The best part is they were free.  I just down loaded them, cut them out and added the sports symbols to make a cheap and easy decoration. Thanks to the lovely woman out there in computer land who is generous enough to share!

I also used the free digital tags to tie on candy jars and treat boxes.





















Some of the print outs I put on sticks to put right into the treats.   I filled the Chinese food boxes with a little treat that I love.  I have renamed them just for this party..."Go for the "Gold"en Grahams"  Get it? Go for the Gold...I am so smart!  This treat is one of my favorite, I actually try not to make it 'cuz...I love to eat it! I got this recipe from one of my favorite neighbors, then...like I have been known to do I added chocolate. Chocolate makes everything better!


Go for the "Gold"en Grahams
1 cup butter, 1 cup Karo syrup, 1 cup sugar
Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes,  then add 1 tsp. vanilla.
Pour over:
6 cups Golden Grahams cereal
6 cups Rice Chex cereal
1-2 cups Almonds
(option: 1-2 cups coconut, I always do)

Mix well and pour on wax paper to cool. I then drizzle it lightly with melted chocolate chips!

My next trick is....."Not-so-English Fish and Chips"

 In honor of the host country I made my own version of "Fish and Chips" for the kids.  Peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches make darling "fish".  I simply cut the sandwiches into fish shapes and served them with potato chips.  They loved eating out of the newspaper cones sooooo much I am thinking of all sorts of things to serve out of newspaper! 

We made our own Olympic Rings.  Seriously simple.  Wire hangers formed into circles made great forms.  I gathered crepe paper streamers and glued them right to the hanger form.  Easy...cheap!


After the rings were completed I used hot glue to hold it together.  It is so light it hung extremely well.

English Trifle is a popular dessert in England.  In the spirit of the games, I made a "Not-so-English Trifle".  It is a Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle.  I got the recipe from my lovely Mother.  I am not sure where she got it from...all I know is I love it and it is super easy to make.  It is actually better if you make it the night before.  It is a good "do ahead"!  LOVE IT!

Strawberry Cheesecake 
Trifle
Pretty and Yummy!

                     Combine:               2 quarts cut strawberries
                             2 – 3 tablespoons sugar
                                      1/4 teaspoon almond
                                       Cover and refrigerate!

                        Cream:                 16 ounces cream cheese
                                                2 cups powdered sugar

                           Add:                    1 cup sour cream
                                                          3 teaspoons vanilla
                                                 1/4 teaspoon almond
                                                Combine well, set aside.

                         Beat:                        1 cup cream and fold
                                                 into cream mixture.

                        Cube:                  One angel food cake and fold
                                                into cream cheese mixture,
                                                Reserving ½ c. for garnish.

                       Layer:                  cream mixture and strawberries:
                                                in a large pretty glass bowl
                                                          (footed is nice!) like this...

Strawberries, cake, strawberries, cake, strawberries


Garnish:  A dollop of the creamy stuff and a fanned strawberry!
Chill for a couple hours before serving!

I have much more coming...I have a post later today with the rest of the recipes and  pictures from my Olympic debut!





No comments:

Post a Comment