Wednesday, October 17, 2012

PORCH DECORATIONS THAT EASILY TRANSITION FROM HALLOWEEN INTO THANKSGIVING. FALL BURLAP AND WHITE PUMPKIN WREATH FOR FRONT DOOR.

CALLING ALL TRICK-OR-TREATER'S...THE PORCH IS READY!!!!!  I am excited for the little monsters to start knocking!  I didn't want to work too hard this year transitioning from Halloween into Thanksgiving. I'll be honest, the minute the minute Halloween is over I want all of the decorations gone! I like to take my Halloween decorations down THAT night!  I fashioned the front porch pots so they would serve me well at Halloween and also transition quickly into lovely Thanksgiving Decorations.
 These black pots grow flowers for most of the year.  I usually do some type of pumpkin arrangement in them until Christmas when they are then filled with poinsettia's. This year I decided to make them to coordinate with my new wreath. I began by ruffling burlap ribbon and gluing it to a circle of foam board.


 I made the circle just large enough to cover the top of the pot.  It will be held in place by the floral picks I will be using.  They will stick into the foam board and than into the dirt beneath. 

I will be able to change the picks and reuse the holes for the floral picks I will use for my front porch Thanksgiving decoration.    
I glued sticks into the bottom of the giant pumpkins.  This will allow me to stick the pumpkin right into the center of the foam board and down into the dirt beneath.  Perfect!...BUT... also easily changeable. 

 Nothing is complete without ribbon.  I love them! 
 
 I think they make simple Halloween porch decorations that will also work beautifully for Thanksgiving.  This change will be quick and easy!  I removed the Pumpkin and the Halloween picks.


 I replaced the Halloween with Fall stems using the same holes. This way they make a great Thanksgiving DecorationA smaller version of this would make a great Thanksgiving center piece.
And then stuck the pumpkin back in.
I reused the burlap ribbon from the Halloween arrangement and put it in the Thanksgiving arrangement. 
The porch went from this...

To this in just a few minutes.  Easy Transition!


   I made a new wreath for the Fall/Thanksgiving season. 

The twig wreath was 5.99 at Hobby Lobby. 


I wanted the Thanksgiving wreath to be big but didn't want to spend a ton of money doing it.  I bought a roll of burlap for 4.50 at Joann's.  I ruffled it and hot glued it to the back of the wreath.  This substantially increased the size of the wreath without having to spend a lot of money.  
I began with "wheat" looking stems and picks of dark green leaves. This creates nice contrast but keeps the wreath simple.  
I use hot glue on the end of the picks and stick them right into the twig wreath. 
I added sticks to the bottom of the pumpkin and glued the sticks right into the wreath. 


Next I  added flower picks and berries.  I chose things that are all of a similar color.   

  I glued in a giant burlap ribbon. 
And last...several layers of twine bows.  This adds good texture without making the bow too busy. 
I am happy the way it turned out and I am excited to put it out!  If you drive by my house after 9:00p.m. Halloween night I will be out putting this up!  I am ready for Fall.  Making a wreath yourself is easy.  You can get a lot more "look" for your money. 

   







7 comments:

  1. This is beautiful - and just what I am looking for. It's classy Fall decorating. I wanted something unique - was getting tired of the traditional orange/yellow colors. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention "ruffling" the burlap. Can you explain how you do that please? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this post is so old but are the big giant white pumpkins real or fake? Where do you buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get that big fake white pumpkin??

    ReplyDelete
  5. This wreath is beautiful!!! How did you make the burlap ribbon?? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! And agree, love your white pumpkins - not the standard from Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply Beautiful! Thanks for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete