Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fall and Thanksgiving crafting preperations

Ridiculous as it sounds...I think people have WAAAY too much time on their hands!  I keep seeing all of these crafty "items" people are making out of toilet paper tubes. Who knew!?! Props to all of the toilet tube crafters out there!  I can't decide if we (yes, I am including myself in the group) are bored or just crazy!?!  In my case...after some careful thought...I am pure CRAZY! I boldly add my toilet paper tube craft to the ever growing and quite popular toilet paper tube craze going on right now!
TA-DA......the worlds first toilet paper tube cornucopia! Do you think this is what the pilgrims had in mind at the first Thanksgiving?
Turns out this cornucopia is an easy Fall and Thanksgiving craft for those of you who are so inclined.  Please enjoy!
 I began by cutting one side of the tube inward, leaving only an inch to an inch and a half on the other side. 
 Next, tightly roll inward one side of the new cut.  This helps create the "cone" effect.
Then, wrap the next side tightly down over the first roll.
Make sure you roll tightly so the cone is nice and sharp.  Secure out side flap with hot glue.  
Wrap and glue the open end with burlap, leaving at least an inch over hang to tuck and glue inside the cornucopia opening.   

 cover and glue the pointed end of the cone with burlap.  
Wrap and glue the cone with a strip of burlap 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
The burlap doesn't wrap smoothly.  Don't worry!
I followed the burlap up with several long pieces of the Jute (pulled from the burlap)  I used a small amount of glue to secure one end of the jute to the tip of the cone and after wrapping it tightly around the cone I secured it again with a small amount of glue.  This held it in place nicely!
To keep the cone pointing up, I tied three bows and glued them to the bottom of the cone.  
The bows secured the cone.
 And because I bow everything...the cornucopia got a giant bow!! I can't help it, I love beautiful ribbon.  My good friend Jeff brought me a giant roll of the most beautiful orange ribbon.  It was perfect. 

The burlap cornucopia is a perfect little vehicle for a Thanksgiving treat.  It will serve as a place card holder at my Thanksgiving table.  The little treat that fills the cone is a candy covered mint chocolate ball.  I loved the white color...plus I love mint chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment